Wilderness First Aid
Wilderness First Aid is one of BlacksburgCPR's marquee class offerings. This immersive course takes place over a weekend in the heart of the New River Valley, and includes more than 20 hours of instruction both in the classroom and outdoors. This class is designed to help persons care for sick or injured persons when medical care is one hour or more away.
Wilderness First Aid provides information on how to handle common injuries and illnesses when medical care is an hour away or more. Designed for those who work or travel in remote locations, this comprehensive course will teach you what to look for and what to do in the event of an emergency, and direct you to the most appropriate type of care. The class covers extended information on:
- Expanded information on heat and cold emergencies
- Updated guidelines for managing snake bite emergencies
- Managing diabetic emergencies in remote locations
- Flow charts reinforcing the decision-making process and appropriate procedures for remote care
- The use of decision tables to provide additional info for first aiders should look for and what treatment steps they should take